Re: Packaging BLAT for Debian

Hello,

On 25.10.17 23:50, Afif Elghraoui wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On October 25, 2017 5:03:23 PM EDT, Maximilian Haeussler <max@soe.ucsc.edu> wrote:
>> Andreas: If clustal,
When I had asked Andreas in 2001 or so to update clustalw for me, this
was what started my contributions to Debian. Maybe this qualifies me to
join this somewhat unfortunate thread.
>> cufflinks, phylip, paml and many other
>> bioinformatics packages are just fine in the non-free repo, couldn't
>> we do the same with blat?
>>
>> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/c/
>> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/e/
>> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/p/
>>
> Just to clarify Andreas' statement about it not being allowed in Debian. non-free is not technically part of Debian: packages are not autobuilt there,
Actually, once upon a time they were autobuilt from a subset of Debian's
auto-builders.
> no reproducibility checking or continuous integration is done on them, and even any free-software package that depends on it is similarly excluded from Debian main.
>
> About the lack of autobuilding--this means only whatever binaries the package maintainer uploads will be available, and any rebuilds that need to happen must be done manually by the maintainer.
>
> For non-free, the software just needs to be legally redistributable

Yes, and I admit to have thought that Debian would ship blat already
(non-free or not). A quick google search found
https://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2014/02/msg00264.html from which I
understand that you have packages prepared.

Your first upload needs to be done by a Debian Developer. This could for
instance be Andreas, Afif or me or some 1000 other people. Your sponsor
checks that the package is OK to be redistributed, that the package
builds, that there is a description of the package and then upload. For
updates of blat it would be nice if you would find a volunteer among
your team to perform those updates independently from any sponsor. For
that "Debian Maintainer" is the hurdle is that you have two Debian
Developers signing a GPG key of yours, which means that you have met
them personally. There is a bunch of them on every ISMB and other
conferences, so this should not be too difficult or you find someone on
https://wiki.debian.org/Keysigning/Offers#US .

Please post a pointer to your package on this list or email me directly
and we get this going.

Steffen