Re: contribution to Med-debian

Dear Nada,

I take the freedom to answer in public on our mailing list.

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 05:33:54PM +0300, Nada Courses wrote:
> I haven't worked in any open software. I'm a computer science master
> student who is interested in computational biology/bioinformatics and I
> would like to get involved in bioMedical free software.

OK, so you might like to learn how to create Debian packages from
bioinformatics software?  I think the most straightforward way is to
take some software you either might be interested in yourself which is
not yet in Debian or pick from our todo list[1] something that might be
interesting for you.

Once you have decided for some software you can do a Mentoring of the
Month[2] session.  I'd happily guide you into the "secrets" of
packaging.  Finally you want to put the Debian Med team policy under
your pillow.  It contains some essential readings about packaging in
general as well as the specifics inside the Debian Med team.

Please let me know if these hints are what you are wanting to know
and whether a MoM project would be interesting for you.

[1] https://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/bio#pkgvcs-debs
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM
[3] https://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html