Re: ginkgocadx ...The good, the bad, and the ugly

Hi,

just wanted to give you the heads up on how this goes:

The good:

I got it to build and it runs, thumbnails now work, and also the

The bad:

This was all done on Gentoo, because the current versions of VTK and
GDCM don't cut it:

* VTK < 6.2.1 has a bug that makes ginkgocadx crash when creating the
thumbnails.

* GDCM-2.6.3 + patch can't currently be build in a clean unstable,
because the build dependencies pull in conflicting versions of
libopenmpi (1.6 and 1.10).

The ugly:

The ginkgocadx code is a mess, threading is poorly implemented with the
result that at exit the program either crashes or hangs. Luckily gcc
now implements a thread-checker that gives some hints what is going
wrong, but resolving this threading issue will still be difficult.

--
This means we'll have to wait until the gdcm can be build again, and
I'll ask the VTK maintainer what he think about uploading either vtk

Best,
Gert