Re: Thanks for your intend to join (Re: Request to Join Project Debian Med from Mattia Rizzolo (mattia))

[Moving non-private discussion to Debian Med list for wider audience
 Mattia joined the team to ease QA uploads which is really welcome. :-)
]

Hi Mattia

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 10:01:17AM +0000, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 08:40:40AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 02:07:49AM +0000, noreply@alioth.debian.org wrote:
> > I admit I'm relying on
> >
> >    cme fix dpkg-control
> >
> > which uses http/git instead of https.  IMHO it would be very efficient
> > to adapt the dpkg-control module of cme.
>
> uh, ok, guess I'm going to report a bug there.

+1

> FYI, somebody also reported a bug in lintian to (pedanticaly) warn about
> non-encrypted transport protocols in Vcs-{Git,Browser}.

+1

> (and I guess you are aware of the thread in d-d@ from some days ago)

Yes, I've read some of these mails.

> > Feel also free to mention this in the team policy
> >
> >    svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-med/trunk/community/website/docs
>
> Just a question that this line triggered: don't you have a clear plan on
> moving everything to git?

We do not have this plan for at least two reasons:

  1. Not all team members are comfortable with Git (yet) and we want
     to stay inclusive for everybody.
  2. There are packages where the usual Git workflow is overkill.  For
     instance we have several R packages where packaging is pretty simple
     and schematic and there is no point in wasting disk space with in
     some case large upstream source.  So sometimes SVN is just more
     practical.

My *personal* policy is to move packages from SVN to git if there is a
changed upstream source (=not identical to the upstream source created
by some get-orig-source script or changed by Files-Excluded) since it is
good to make sure that each developer has easy access to the very same
orig.tar.[gx]z.

If you have some preference for Git and notice that other Uploaders to
this package did not touched an SVN maintained package for a long time
or the last one who touched the package was just me it is perfectly OK
if you move a package to Git.

In

   svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-med/trunk/helper-scripts

you can find a script convert_svn_2_git and a quite up to date files
debian-med-authors which I'm using to do conversions from svn to git.
Please note that there is a long standing bug which makes this sometimes
breaks this conversion.  If this happens I have a local copy of the
Git packages where I applied

   https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/msysgit/7MQVwRO-2N4

to fix the issue (see #791893 - I admit that I do not think that Git
itself is maintaintained properly considering the big number of bugs
with patches in BTS :-(.  I do not intend to adapt this patch to every
new Git version if the maintainer does not even mind answering a bug
report.)

> From what I can read the tl;dr version is
> "look around you for tools and hack something toghether when you do it",
> which, well works, but, eheh :)

Something like this. :-)