Re: Odil (previously DCMTK++) 0.4.0

Hi Andreas,

Le 15/01/2016 09:19, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 10:01:48AM +0100, Julien Lamy wrote:
>> Since this release involves a renaming (from dcmtkpp to odil) from
>> upstream, I've followed the method 2 (dummy packages) from the renaming
>> doc of Debian [2]. Are the resulting packages OK, or did I screw up
>> somewhere?
>
> I spended a bit more time in thinking about this.  IMHO it makes sense
> to make the rename perfect by also renaming the Git repository.  If we
> might stick to the old name that could become confusing in the future.

That was my next point, once the package issues were sorted out. I agree
with renaming the repo, it will simplify things in the future. Is a
simple "mv dcmtkpp.git odil.git" on git.debian.org sufficient (provided
debian/control is up-to-date)?

> Moreover while it is the recommended way to create transitional packages
> and you did perfectly correct I do not think that this is necessary in
> this case.  Since libdcmtkpp was never part of any stable release where
> you should care for a sensible migration path this is probably overkill
> and will later require us to do another round in the Debian new queue
> once we might decide to drop the transitional packages again.
>
> Another reason is that there is no single package depending from the old
> names so in practice we are not really doing a transition but in fact it
> is a simple rename.

Yes, I might have gone over the top considering the early age of the
package. Should I remove the old packages from the current
debian/control? If so, how is the removal of the old packages from the
unstable archive performed?

> The only thing what you need to do is to add
>
>    Conflicts / Provides
>
> fields also for the old names to make sure the packages will really
> replace the possibly installed old named packages.

Even if the old packages are removed from debian/control?

> Just tell me if my explanation was clear enough or whether I should
> implement the changes I would do in Git for a demonstration.

I'll try to do the modifications, and maybe come back with a few more
questions :-)

Cheers,
--
Julien