Re: Odil (previously DCMTK++) 0.4.0

Hi Julien,

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 10:01:48AM +0100, Julien Lamy wrote:
> Dear all,
> I've updated the Debian Med repository with the newest upstream version
> of Odil (previously DCMTK++) [1].
>
> Since this release involves a renaming (from dcmtkpp to odil) from
> upstream, I've followed the method 2 (dummy packages) from the renaming
> doc of Debian [2]. Are the resulting packages OK, or did I screw up
> somewhere?

I spended a bit more time in thinking about this.  IMHO it makes sense
to make the rename perfect by also renaming the Git repository.  If we
might stick to the old name that could become confusing in the future.

Moreover while it is the recommended way to create transitional packages
and you did perfectly correct I do not think that this is necessary in
this case.  Since libdcmtkpp was never part of any stable release where
you should care for a sensible migration path this is probably overkill
and will later require us to do another round in the Debian new queue
once we might decide to drop the transitional packages again.

Another reason is that there is no single package depending from the old
names so in practice we are not really doing a transition but in fact it
is a simple rename.

The only thing what you need to do is to add

   Conflicts / Provides

fields also for the old names to make sure the packages will really
replace the possibly installed old named packages.

> If everything is OK, could this be uploaded?

Just tell me if my explanation was clear enough or whether I should
implement the changes I would do in Git for a demonstration.