Re: Could you join the effort to get free source code of fastsimcoal

Hi Tiago,
[CC ing the Debian Med list about tha genepop topic]

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 09:37:35AM -0600, Tiago Antão wrote:

> On a more positive note, would you consider packaging genepop for debian?
> That thing is GPL and used by a lot of people (check the citations on
> scholar), it is one of the biggest bioinformatic applications of all time
> and completely ignored by Linux distributions.

Why not.  However, is there any *direct* link to the sources.
At

   http://kimura.univ-montp2.fr/~rousset/Genepop.htm

I just found a not properly versioned download file

   http://kimura.univ-montp2.fr/%7Erousset/GenepopV4.tar.gz

that contains thre archives including executables.  If the web page says
it is version 4.5.1 the tarball should feature this number to make clear
that the download is really the version a user wants.  It is the same
download name for version 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 ...   grrrrr.

If you have contact to this project please be so kind to teach them
about proper versioning.  The easiest would be to use some of the well
known development platforms (gitlab, github, sf, etc.) since these have
some tools to properly create versioned tarballs.

Kind regards and thanks for the hint