Re: upstream/metadata with references to software catalogs^Wregistries?

[For readers of Blends list: We are discussing an additional field
 in debian/upstream/metadata ]

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 01:12:46PM +0200, Steffen Möller wrote:
> Our plans are to offer reference to
>  * the bio.tools registry (obviously)
>  * the SeqWiki (since this community feeds the bio.tools and for now we
> would start upload to bio.tools what is not coming from the SeqWiki)
>
> The debian/upstream/metadata file would then for bowtie see the
> additional lines
>
> Registry:
>   Name: bio.tools
>   Entry: http://bio.tools/tool/DebianMed/bowtie/1.1.1
> Registry:
>   Name: SEQwiki
>   Entry: http://seqanswers.com/wiki/Bowtie

Just for the Syntax:  This should rather be

Registry:
 -  Name: bio.tools
    Entry: http://bio.tools/tool/DebianMed/bowtie/1.1.1
 -  Name: SEQwiki
    Entry: http://seqanswers.com/wiki/Bowtie

This would ensure that we have only one Registry field which might
contain a set of values.

... fixable at bio.tools side you mean, right?

> The motivation for a package maintainer to add those references could be
>  * better visibility, i.e. hope for a reverse link, so the own work is
> found more quickly, at least for the bio.tools this is coming
>  * the references may guide users to additional information on how to
> include the package in their workflow

Please note:  Adding these values to upstream/metadata does not make
things user visible automatically.  We need to patch tasks pages / other
things to let the data show up.

> If there is no opposition to add such references, then we may go ahead
> with a few today.

I'm CCing Blends list to get further input for the idea.