Re: SSPACE-basic GitHub repository

On 06/06/16 15:05, Sascha Steinbiss wrote:
Dear Nicola,

first of all many thanks for the quick reply.

thanks for contacting me about the SSPACE-basic repository. The
repository contains a copy of the "basic" version of SSPACE, which was
released by Baseclear years ago under the GPL (v2 or later) and then
discontinued.
This is very nice to hear; I didn't know that but it does indeed explain
this separate version and license.

Then they removed all traces of this version from their
website
Does that mean they do not support SSPACE-basic _at all_ any more? That
is, do you know if they still handle, for example, bug reports?
'Discontinued' seems to suggest that...

I don't think so, but to be sure you should contact BaseClear about that.
SSPACE standard is a completely different version (at least license-wise).
Got it.

The first commit of the repository
https://github.com/nsoranzo/sspace_basic/commit/652d24aa74a3b45774db43b3483e71e40572a553
contains an exact copy of the files I downloaded at the time from
http://www.baseclear.com/download.php?file_id=1038 , the other commits
are patches from me.
If Baseclear have discontinued SSPACE-basic, I was wondering if you
would be OK with being our upstream contact for SSPACE-basic? That means
that we would possibly forward bug reports, patches, etc. from Debian to
you if they address the SSPACE-basic software itself.

That would be fine for me, but unfortunately I can't guarantee I will have time/resources to fix the issues. I created the repository mainly because I wrote a Galaxy wrapper for SSPACE basic and the original download location disappeared. Also I wanted to preserve the code for anyone that wants to use it, but this is not my project or work!
I'd very happy if you package SSPACE-basic and I'd happy to accept
patches to make the software more "packageable" if needed.
I will look into it as soon as I find some time, and contact you with
suggestions or patches if required. From what I can see without delving
too much into packaging, we won't be able to include the PDF manuals
without the source they were created from (LaTeX, Word, ...) also
included in the repository. This is a Debian policy; if these are not
available we'd have to exclude them from the packaged version.
An alternative is to just make plain text versions (copy&paste?) and to
include them in the repository. This would need to be done on your side
as well though.

I can take a look in merging the PDF manuals and the README in 2 MarkDown files, it's all just text.

Cheers,
Nicola

Thanks again for your cooperation :) Always happy to hear such welcome
news and to see good software freed!

Best regards
Sascha

--