Re: Debian Med in CentOS HPC environment - how?

Hello,

على الثلاثاء 31 أيار 2016 ‫02:10، كتب Steffen Möller:
> Would
> it be worthwhile to try installing the packages to $HOME/debroot as with |
> dpkg-deb -x app.deb $HOME/debroot|
> and fiddle with the $PATH environment not too different from how module
> is doing it? This would certainly raise my interest in backports.

While the suggestions Michael and Olivier made are very interesting
(some of which I wasn't aware of), I've somewhat been moving towards the
approach you describe here. I'm not claiming it's the best approach, but
it's something I've worked on and would appreciate people's comments or
accusations of my insanity.

I found Plan 9's namespace concept very interesting and, while it is
based on union mounts, it somewhat achieves the effect that modifying a
set of environment variables would on Unix. As far as *I* understood
(could be wrong), union mounts to use in the same way as Plan 9's
namespaces can't be reliably/securely done with Linux without root
privileges, or at least older versions of the kernel. I recently wrote a
script to modify specific environment variables in a way to "activate a
prefix directory" for using programs defined within [1].

As for dpkg, I did some work in this direction of adding the feature of
unprivileged package installation, but I have not needed it personally,
so haven't enough time on it for it to be functional.

In any case, I can certainly say that the way I describe is not the most
well-supported.

regards
Afif

1. https://gitlab.com/afif/bond/blob/master/bond.1.md