Re: toppred and bowtie now reproducible

Hi Andreas,

> I've uploaded toppred.

Great, thanks!

> I've looked at bowtie and I have a question:  In the reproducible.patch
> you set some varying variables to fixed (basically empty) values in the
> Makefile.  In addition you are also commenting the variables inside the
> code which might also hide other information like build options etc.  I
> wonder whether the latter is needed.  There might be users who are
> interested in those settings like Build Options and other things.

Point taken. This is what I meant the other day when mentioning in an
email about removing information from the output.

> I assume that the Build Options are fixed for a reproducible build,
> aren't they?

They should be, according to
https://tests.reproducible-builds.org/index_variations.html. C*FLAGS,
LDFLAGS and friends should stay the same.

> So what about
>
>     -DBUILD_HOST="\"Debian-reproducible\""
>
> and inject
>
>     dpkg-parsechangelog --show-field Date
>
> into -DBUILD_TIME.  I also wonder whether the string
>
>     gcc -v 2>&1 | tail -1 | sed 's/ *(.*//'
>
> should be generic enough to solve the reproducible issue by beeing
> informative enough for the user.
>
> What do you think?

You are right, maybe upstream has included them for a reason. I have
changed the corresponding patch in SVN to just set these to these
suggested fixed values. Many thanks for your hint.
After another run in my local r-b pipeline, I can confirm that the
package is still reproducible. So I guess we can go with the new version.

Best
Sascha

P.S. Just for consistency, I will also adjust the output of bowtie2
accordingly in a later upload.