Re: Does bwa really need to be limited to amd64?

Le Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 01:04:15AM -0700, Afif Elghraoui a écrit :

> As I've mentioned before, I'm trying to get circlator into testing. I
> requested of the release team to allow it to migrate despite it's being
> uninstallable on i386 [1]. I was then asked if there was any way to fix
> that, so I looked into the problematic dependencies. bwa is set to amd64
> and kfreebsd-amd64 only.
>
> When I looked through the changelog, this looked like it was done a few
> years ago because of the need for SSE2. In the current debian/rules, I
> see that SSE2 is only added if the architecture matches amd64, but I
> don't see anything about this in the upstream Makefile or READMEs.
>
> I don't have a chance to test out a build right now, but does anyone see
> a problem with expanding the architecture list?

Hi Afif,

BWA failed to build on i386 at version 0.7.5a-1 with the following error,
despite the -D_NO_SSE2 option:

    /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.7/include/emmintrin.h:32:3: error: #error "SSE2 instruction set not enabled"

https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=bwa&arch=i386&ver=0.7.5a-1&stamp=1370353173

I expect that if you try to build it on i386, it will fail again.

In any case, for most bioinformatics software that is now developed on amd64, I
would not trust output of the programs built successfully on other
architectures unless there are good regression tests.

So I take the opportunity to say a big thank you to the people working on
regression tests right now :)

Have a nice day,

--
Charles