Re: Artemis: fix for #808851

Hi Afif,

> > I noticed that Artemis was removed from testing a while ago, and
> > one reason was bug #808851. You apparently started to fix it
> > (thanks!) but haven't seen an upload for a fixed version, so as I
> > had some time to spare this morning I looked at it. I just pushed
> > the last remaining changes needed to fix the FTBFS to git and would
> > be glad if you could take a look and upload if it’s OK with you.
> >

> Wow, thank you for doing that. It's been a thorn in my side for a long
> time.

Sure, no problem. I just noticed after fixing it that you requested help for the fix. Anyway, here you go :)

> > Quick question: You seem to have linked the .jars to /usr/bin,
> > which may confuse typical users who may want to call ‘art’ or ‘act’
> > from the command line, e.g. to give additional command line
> > parameters (database support, for example). Is there a special
> > reason for doing it this way? Artemis’ upstream tarball includes
> > the ‘act’ and ‘art’ scripts users may be familiar with.
>
> The link is picked up by jarwrapper, which turns it into a script that
> sets the appropriate classpath and call's the jar file's main class.
> When I looked at the upstream-provided scripts, it seemed to me like
> they did basically the same thing. If we want to use them, we'd have
> to patch them to set the classpath as it would be set from the package
> installation. Would you prefer that?

I don’t really mind. I was just asking because when I wanted to test my newly built version of the updated package I noticed I couldn’t run Artemis:

[vagrant@vagrant-debian:~] $ sudo dpkg -i /vagrant/artemis_16.0.0+dfsg-5_all.deb
Selecting previously unselected package artemis.
(Reading database ... 130551 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../artemis_16.0.0+dfsg-5_all.deb ...
Unpacking artemis (16.0.0+dfsg-5) ...
Setting up artemis (16.0.0+dfsg-5) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.5-1) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.59) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.13-1) ...
[vagrant@vagrant-debian:~] $ art
run-detectors: unable to find an interpreter for /usr/bin/art
[vagrant@vagrant-debian:~] $ which art
/usr/bin/art

Did I miss something? I have everything to run Artemis (‘java -jar /usr/bin/art’ indeed runs Artemis) but the jar wrapper part doesn’t seem to work for me.

Cheers
Sascha