Re: About backports.

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 09:28:10PM -0700, Afif Elghraoui wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand enough about the workings of Debian yet to
> suggest anything helpful, but I'd prefer to support something to improve
> the current backports/release system. The issues you bring up seem to be
> more general than for any single maintainer or team and dealing with it
> at the top level would maybe improve the entire release system. As I
> said, though, I don't have a better alternative in mind.

>From my personal point of view its similar:  Debian has a quite
sophisticated infrastucture.  Setting up something thats not even
comparable would drain maintenance time I could use for more progressive
things.  I for myself had even ignored backports in the past but I
started to upload some selected packages recently since there might be
some chance that it will be used in the foreseable future by my
institute.  From my usage backports (with all the delay issues it might
have) is sufficient - if not some local mirror will do to come over some
delays.

>From a strategic point of view I'm not sure that some extra
infrastucture will support the idea of convergence to collect people
behind a common idea.