Re: packaging UCSC kent tools for debian-med

Good Morning Andreas:

Yes, the versioned tar balls can be seen here:

http://hgdownload.cse.ucsc.edu/admin/exe/

Note the userApps.vNNN.src.tgz files
with the newest one always as simply userApps.src.tgz

These binaries can be built thusly:

rm -fr userApps
wget --timestamping  http://hgdownload.cse.ucsc.edu/admin/exe/userApps.src.tgz
tar xvzf userApps.src.tgz
cd userApps
MAKE="make -j 24" make -j 24 > make.log 2>&1

Resulting binaries end up in userApps/bin/

The versioned tarballs do not unpack into unique named directories,
they unpack in the same 'userApps' binary:

This is the same result:

rm -fr userApps
wget --timestamping  http://hgdownload.cse.ucsc.edu/admin/exe/userApps.v323.src.tgz
tar xvzf userApps.v323.src.tgz
cd userApps
MAKE="make -j 24" make -j 24 > make.log 2>&1

Please note the userApps/README file for expected system requirements
and alternative build procedures using 'git', for example:

 http://genome-source.cse.ucsc.edu/gitweb/?p=kent.git;a=blob_plain;f=src/userApps/README

This code will not compile nor function on sparc or alpha machines.
Only x86_64 and Mac OSX have been tested.  There is no comprehensive test suite,
although some binaries do have a 'make test' target but it is all a manual
procedure, nothing automatic.

--Hiram