Re: packaging UCSC kent tools for debian-med

Hi again,

please see my additions inline!

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 10:52:35AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi Hiram,
>
> I hope you don't mind if I'm putting Debian Med list in the discussion
> which I would like you to do in pure technical discussion as well.
>
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 12:00:59AM -0700, Hiram Clawson wrote:
> > Good Evening Andreas:
> >
> > I'm curious if there would be a way to fit this building procedure
> > into the Debian-Med project:
> >
> >    http://genome-source.cse.ucsc.edu/gitweb/?p=kent.git;a=blob;f=src/userApps/README
> >
> > Note steps 1, 2, 3 near the top of the README after the 'System Requirements'
> > discussion.
> >
> > I fully realize this isn't they way packages are supposed to work, but at
> > this time, this is the best we have.
>
> Simply from reading the README I can not see anything unusual.  Step 1
> (fetching the tarball) is totally normal workflow,

Some correction to what I said here:  Please provide a *versioned*
tarball!  Every tarball should have a version to be able to detect updates.

Moreover once I have checked the tarball I realised that the problematic
license which was discussed previously[0] remains.  So *if* this software
should be distributed by Debian this needs to be fixed first.

[0] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-med-packaging/2014-March/025520.html

--
http://fam-tille.de