Is this solution ok, in your mind? Or, maybe there is a better solution?

best regards,
Mali

On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 1:19 PM, Malihe Asemani <ml.asemani@gmail.com> wrote:

sorry. I forgot to cc the list :)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Malihe Asemani <ml.asemani@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 12:25 PM
Subject: Re: [MoM] regarding rename_binary_result.patch
To: Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu>

hey  Andreas,

I tried to override the install rule of Makefile.linux to resolve build issue of king-probe package, but I have some problems. if  I remove the install target from Makefile.linux the below lines work correctly:

    dh_auto_install mv probe  $(CURDIR)/debian/king-probe/usr/lib/debian-med/bin/ -- -f Makefile.linux

OR

     dh_auto_install --destdir $(CURDIR)/debian/king-probe -- -f Makefile.linux install (Which uses d/install as well)

But, when there is a target in Makefile.linux, "fakeroot debian/rules install" fails because it runs the install target in Makefile.linux, too.

I read in the wiki (https://wiki.debian.org/IntroDebianPackaging) that if you add the below line to the rules file it'll work.
$(MAKE) DESTDIR=$$(pwd)/debian/king-probe prefix=/usr/lib/debian-med/bin install -f makefile.linux
but it does not work for me (makefile.linux is run in this approach, too).

So, how can I prevent the install target in Makefile.linux to be run?

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 2:28 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
Hi Malihe,

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 02:07:46PM +0430, Malihe Asemani wrote:
> Hey Andreas,
>
> > On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 12:35 PM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 05:25:29PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > > Hi Malihe,
> > >
> > > I noticed another issue.  In the pristine-tar branch the old tarball name
> > > remains.  I'd recommend to reimport the new tarball name
> > >
> > >    gbp  import-orig --pristine-tar
> > <PATH>/king-probe_2.13.110909.orig.tar.xz
> > >
> > > it might be needed to delete the upstream tag but might be it works
> > > without this.
> > I noticed that you succeeded in this - fine.
> > I have two remarks to your current packaging:
> > 1. You have cut-n-pasted NEWS.Debian from plink.  While I suggested to
> > sneak into plink the file NEWS.Debian is a reserved file for *news* ==
> > differences to former releases of this package and apt will display this
> > on users machines at install time.  Since there are not any previous
> > releases please rename this to README.Debian which is more apropiate and
> > free form.  So you can rather use
> > (king?)probe for Debian
> > =======================
> > instead of
> > king-probe (2.13.110909-1) unstable; urgency=low
> >
> Yes, I didn't know which one of README and NEWS files should I use? And
> just chose one of them!
> I'll change it to a README file. Thanks for your comment :)
>

> > 2. You might possibly wonder why the package might fail to build.
>

> yes. exactly. I think the package should create
>
> usr/lib/debian-med/bin/
>
> directory using d/dirs and then copy the prob binary file in this path
> using d/install file.
> And then it should create a link from
>
> usr/lib/debian-med/bin/probe

>   usr/bin/king-probe
>
> using d/links. I dont know why this method does  not work!

Since the upstream Makefile has this fixed target dir (== is broken).

That's why I recommended to ignore the upstrea Makefile.

> > You
> > probably want to override_dh_auto_install and move the build result
> > manually into the correct place (or alternatively fix the makefile if
> > you prefer this - I'd go with the first suggestion)
> >

> first suggestion seems more correct in my mind, too. But I still dont know
> why my current method does not work correctly.

$ grep -A1 "^install: probe" Makefile.linux
install: probe
        mv probe /local/bin

This can not work ...

you can't start the next chapter if you keep re-reading the last one

mali

--