backportd - automatic backports

Hi, all,
I thought I'd report on my progress with automating backports for Debian
Med packages as discussed previously [1]. I'm calling the system
"backportd", though it's not exactly a daemon.

I set up an email account subscribed to debian-testing-changes and use
fetchmail and a filter to collect the migration notices. I parse the
list, flagging packages that we are targeting for backports. Then the
code checks out the repository to do the backporting. I still need to
revise that last part a lot more, though. I've also just been tipped off
to querying UDD rather than parsing emails from debian-testing-changes.

I haven't published the source code for this yet since it has my mail
server URL in it...which is not really sensitive information. I should
get over that soon and post the code.

So there are a couple of issues right now:

* How can we run it/Who will run it?
I could run it, but uploading only to mentors. I could alternatively
build the packages and rsync them to somewhere like Alioth. I'm not sure
how sponsors feel about this.

* List of packages to backport
I think good candidates are
  - Anything for which there is or has ever been a user request for backport
  - Anything that didn't make it into the current stable release

I put backports on the list for discussion on gobby that Andreas sent
out [2]. Unfortunately, I can't attend, even via IRC.

Regards
Afif

1. https://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2015/08/msg00117.html
2. https://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2015/08/msg00144.html