Re: About backports.

Hi, all,

On الثلاثاء 11 آب 2015 00:59, Andreas Tille wrote:
>>From my personal point of view its similar:  Debian has a quite
> sophisticated infrastucture.  Setting up something thats not even
> comparable would drain maintenance time I could use for more progressive
> things.  I for myself had even ignored backports in the past but I
> started to upload some selected packages recently since there might be
> some chance that it will be used in the foreseable future by my
> institute.  From my usage backports (with all the delay issues it might
> have) is sufficient - if not some local mirror will do to come over some
> delays.
>
>>From a strategic point of view I'm not sure that some extra
> infrastucture will support the idea of convergence to collect people
> behind a common idea.

Even with the current system in Debian, this can be somewhat
automated--for example, setting up a machine to respond to the testing
migration emails by triggering a rebuild of a package on a Stable chroot
and, if it succeeds and passes tests, to automatically prepare the
package and upload to backports. I could look into doing part of this,
but I obviously can't do any uploads, automated or otherwise. If I ever
get to become a DD, I could then look into taking care of this whole
process.

We would then just need to keep track of a list of packages that should
be backported.

regards
Afif

--