Re: Please update from ITK v3 to v4 [Re: RM: insighttoolkit -- ROM; Obsoleted by insighttoolkit4]

On August 14, 2015 07:06:30 AM Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 07:58:07PM -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > >
> > > First ITK-4 needs to be re-build for GCC-5 transition.
> >
> > Yes, true.
> >
> > There is work in progress on that front [1].  I'm at the point of testing
> > whether ITK v4 builds in sid.  I was stalled last week because the
> > libvtk6-dev dependency of ITK wasn't installable in sid.  It still is.
>
> VTK needs a transition (#791310) and it would be great if somebody could
> do this.

Interesting that VTK needs a transition, but there is no corresponding bug for
VTK6.  ITK needs VTK6.

I spent a bit of time looking into it yesterday.  I can't install the binary
package vtk6-dev, so I thought I'd just build VTK6 locally.  I can't even
install all of its build-deps :-(.

But just now I checked whether ITK4 truly needs VTK at all.  It turns out that
it doesn't, unless certain modules are enabled -- modules that we have
explicitly turned off.  So I'm going to try a build with the vtk6-dev build-dep
removed.

-Steve