Re: Test failures when trying to package Gubbins for Debian

Hi Andrew,

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 11:35:05AM +0100, Andrew Page wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
> Thanks for the email.

Thanks for your very quick response.

> We would love to get Gubbins into Debian Med which would simplify the installation process somewhat.

:-)

> To answer some of your queries:
> Yes I'd be interested in joining the Debian Med team,

In our team policy[1] it is explained what to do which is as a first
step creating an account on http://alioth.debian.org and asking for
membership in the Debian Med team (either via the web interface or ping
me personally naming your login name).

> We have written permission from Tal to use his code, but have not discussed licensing. Do you have any advise on convincing people to release their code under a free licence?

We have some experience and in some cases success to ask people for a
free license.  I'd volunteer to start this but when reading your
comments below those technical details might help to convince an author
as well since a free license enables more simple contributions of
others and getting bug fixes included seems to be in the interest of
an author.  I'll keep you in CC when I'm starting this (but may be it
will next week).

> The latest version of fastml is version 3, however its an order of magnitude slower than version 2. So we use version 2. To complicate matters, we have patched the codebase to expose some additional functionality and fix some bugs. All changes from the original code are tracked in github.  Its an essential part of the software so we cannot do without it.
> https://github.com/sanger-pathogens/fastml/compare/770d954961959307f7d2db721a3bf5ec7e817ec4...master

There would be an option to use the official download code and add your
patches using quilt to the packaging if there is only a hand full of
patches.  Just naming this option while I'm not sure what might be in
the best interest of your users.  Depending from the answer of Tal we
might decide together for the most apropriate option.

> We noticed the change in DendroPy the other day and its on our todo list to update our code to support the new method names.

Fine.  Feel free to ping me once you might issue a new release.

> We can update to Python 3.

That simplifies things drastically.

Thanks again for your quick and very productive response

    Andreas.

[1] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html