Re: [MoM] kmer-tools status update

Hi, Andreas,

On الثلاثاء 26 أيار 2015 04:27, Andreas Tille wrote:
Hi Afif,

No need to sorry about this.  There are long standing developers who not
provide DEP3 headers. :-)

It might be helpful to add that command in the "managing patches" section on
the Debian Med policy. I was always following the steps there when doing my
patching. I know the New Maintainer's Guide has it, but it's not easy to
read two guides at once.

Good hint.  If you provide a patch that is easily understandable I'd
happily apply this.

Ok, I'll see what I can do.

In short:  If you confirm that you intentionally want to go with static
linking for now I'd go on uploading to the new queue.

Ok, so if you upload it now, how easy will it be to later add new binary
packages from this source-- like the shared library package and the other
components of kmer? I'm a bit eager to get in line at the new queue since
reading about how far it's backed up.

Adding another binary package requires another new processing.  While
*usually* this is only a short check (1-3 days delay) we have currently
at least two packages (fis-gtm and orthanc) that are hanging there for
several weeks for reasons I totally fail to understand (even an
ftpmaster ping hasn't triggered any action).  I have seen new packages
dripping in slowly recently but since about 8-9 monthers new processing
is heavily delayed for reasons I don't know.  I hope this will change
in a decent time frame - usually it is a lack of manpower and bothering
an overworked team with questions does not enable them to work more
quickly - so I did not used this option (out of previous experiences).
I'll take Debian Conference as a chance to find out.

If these additional modifications can be easily added later, I say please go
ahead with the upload.

If you stick to this under the circumstances above I'll upload.

I have tried the library packaging, but there is no soname and I am not sure how to assign one since I don't know the state of the interface and how this changes between different svn revisions.

I have committed my attempts to the "sharedlibs" branch (or some similar name), leaving master in a working state. The sharedlibs branch does not build because an actual file is found rather than a symlink to the library+soname, as I describe in my commit message.

In this view, this looks like it will take a little time and some communication with upstream to sort out. Please upload the current state if it all looks good to you.

Many thanks and regards
Afif

--
Afif Elghraoui | عفيف الغراوي