Re: R packages - are we doing the right thing?

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 08:05:41AM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> Everybody is in favour of doing this.
>
> We had some additional off-list emails.   Salient points:
>
>  -- let's do this

:-)

>  -- I strongly success GitHub because it already has a complete CRAN mirror
>     thanks to the work of Gabor Csardi (which whom I am very friendly and
>     working already on other things) (and this is no rub to alioth; they are
>     already Debian projects in https://github.com/Debian and eg Charles and I
>     have access there)

I'd like to add some cons to the Github suggestion:

  - Would force people creating a Github account who does not have one (but
    on Alioth)
  - Makes us depend from a proprietary service
  - Disables tools we use to parse metadata on alioth (Umegaya,
    prospective_packages parser)
  - Other teams (like Debian Perl which was used by Don as an example) have
    good experiences with Alioth

Cloning an existing project from Github is cheap enough anyway.

>  -- I suggest to create a new "org", maybe debian-r and seed it with a few of
>     us (Don, Charles, Steffen, ...)
>
>  -- Someone needs to show up "advanced git for packaging"; my skills are
>     mostly git and packaging fully separated and though I read the howtos a
>     few times my packaging process still fights with git even for (upstream)
>     repos like ess where they let me write debian/ straight in)

May be we could cut-n-paste some advise from Debian Med policy[1].

[1] https://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html#git-repository-structures