Re: orthanc-postgresql

> > Orthanc will crash if it started after PostgreSQL.
>
> (you probably mean that the other way round ?)

Yes, of course :)

> Orthanc should gracefully fail if it cannot connect to
> PostgreSQL, rather than crash (but I cannot imagine you don't
> already do it that way).

Well, indeed, Orthanc does not "crash", it just "exits with an error code" :)

> Again, Debian strictly recommends against modifying files of
> other packages. However, this might be solved by a (really
> small) package orthanc-sqlite which CONFLICTS: with
> orthanc-postgresql, both of which providing orthanc-backend
> and both providing /etc/init.d/orthanc.init as appropriate.
>
> Orthanc itself would then depend on orthanc-backend (which is
> satisfied by both -sqlite and -postgresql).

OK, got it!

Andreas, if you don't mind, I will therefore modify the "orthanc" package in the following way:

- All the content of the current "orthanc" package (notably the main binary "/usr/sbin/Orthanc") will be moved to some new package "orthanc-backend",
- "orthanc" will only provide "/etc/init.d/orthanc",
- "orthanc" will depend on "orthanc-backend".

The newly added "orthanc-postgresql" package will:

- depend on "orthanc-backend",
- conflict on "orthanc", and
- provide an alternate version of "/etc/init.d/orthanc" with postgresql in Required-Start and Required-Stop.

Does this sound OK?

Thanks again for these explanations,
Sébastien-