Re: How to submit software for addition to BioLinux?

Hi Simon,

I'm writing you as a member of the Debian Med team.

On Thu, Feb 05, 2015 at 06:08:49PM +0000, Tim Booth wrote:
> It's great to hear that you are using Bio-Linux and want to contribute
> your Bpipe package.  We also have a need for an effective lightweight
> pipeline system that supports clusters and doesn't rely on a web client
> (Galaxy) or a mountain of Java dependencies and remote services
> (Taverna).

+1

> What we can do do is to submit the package to Debian Med
> (https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed) which is what I do with all my new
> packages where possible.  Putting the package into Debian makes it
> appear in Debian, Ubuntu, Mint and of course Bio-Linux so it's a big
> win.

+1

> To have a Debian package one needs first to make the initial package and
> then to maintain it as new versions come out or bugs are reported.  The
> first bit is hard for you but easy for us.  The second bit is where you
> can make it much easier for us by being the primary maintainer in Debian
> and handling necessary updates.  (Don't worry that you are using
> Bio-Linux rather than an Debian system - for Java apps it makes no
> difference.)
>
> To this end I've copied this to the Debian Med list.  Someone on the
> list might fancy picking up the package - if not I'll have a look at it
> myself but it will be a couple of weeks before I have time as I'm rushed
> on various other jobs.  Either way, we'll take you through the initial
> packaging then make sure you are set up to be the primary maintainer.
> It's a bit of learning for you but you won't have to swallow the entire
> 106 page Debian packagers' policy manual ;-)  Does that sound an OK
> plan?

I could also offer to help you getting started in a so called Mentoring
of the Month project:

    https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM

In short we would be really happy if you could help you to get the
software you need into Debian and its derivatives.