Re: Adding RNA Studio to the package list

Hi Thomas,

thanks for your interest in Debian Med.  Just to add a clarification:
While we are actually working together with Bio-Linux developers and all
our work will be available in Bio-Linux (intentionally) this list is not
specifically discussing Bio-Linux issues but rather the integration of
biological and medical software into main Debian.  Since Ubuntu is a
Debian derivative and Bio-Linux in turn an Ubuntu derivative all our
packages will end up in Bio-Linux.  I'm personally not aware about some
"shortcut" but others on this list might comment on this.

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 10:44:58AM +0100, Thomas Gatter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to request to add the tools of our RNA Studio to
> Bio-linux. A debian package for it already exists:
> https://launchpad.net/~bibi-help/+archive/ubuntu/bibitools

Cool.  Without checking it seems that most of the work is done.

> All tools are described in the in the paper "The RNA shapes studio"
> by Stefan Janssen and Robert Giegerich:
> http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2014/10/22/bioinformatics.btu649.long

We usually keep this citing information in debian/upstream/metadata.
This will be rendered on our so called tasks pages which you can see
for instance here[1].

> Could someone please give me a pointer on how to do so?

I'd recommend to follow the path we are going successfully for a lot of
software[1] and integrate your target right into Debian.  The Debian Med
team has a policy document[2] which should explain clearly how to do
this.  So you start by creating an account at alioth.debian.org and ask
for beeing added to the Debian Med team.  Then you can commit your
packaging code to your prevered VCS (out of Git and SVN).  We (= the
Debian Med team) will check your work and upload to main Debian.

If you might need help for these steps we have some tradition of
teaching newcomers in a so called "Mentoring of the Month"[3] effort.
I'd be happy to work together with you on this package.

While it might be a bit short notice there is a great chance to learn to
know the people behind (Debian Med and Bio-Linux) and the way we are
working together at our sprint at end of January[4].  I have no overview
about the room situation in the venue hotel but I'm quite positive that
there are good chances to join even now.

Hope this helps

      Andreas.

[1] http://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/bio
[2] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html