From: Steve M. Robbins <steve@sumost.ca>;
To: Gert Wollny <gw.fossdev@gmail.com>;
Cc: Gianfranco Costamagna <costamagnagianfranco@yahoo.it>; debian-med@lists.debian.org <debian-med@lists.debian.org>;
Subject: Re: insighttoolkit4
Sent: Thu, May 29, 2014 8:33:01 PM

On May 29, 2014 12:26:43 PM Gert Wollny wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-05-29 at 10:48 +0100, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
> > Yes, but wasn't the upload something like
> > "do the test, but just print them and don't fail if tests fails?"
>
> No, never. The tests are there to make sure that the code is properly
> compiled and linked, if the tests fail we have a problem that needs to
> be resolved, otherwise the library may just not do what one expects it
> to do, be it because the compiler created bad code, or because a version
> of the used system libraries has a problem.

I agree with that.

> Since you use work on the new unstable Ubuntu version I would guess that
> the problem is with the combinations of system libraries and the problem
> may be resolved at one point,

To be fair, I should note that we have very similar problems in Debian/sid.  I
find very often that the build (or tests) fail with the latest compilers and
libraries.  This particular upload took me three tries to build (with apt-get
upgrade in between).  I was quite shocked that it also built on the i386
autobuilder.

Regards,
-Steve