Re: ANTs & Data file license in http://slicer.kitware.com/midas3/

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:58 PM, Yaroslav Halchenko
<debian@onerussian.com> wrote:

>> @Yaroslav, the script we use for creating the ITK tarballs [3] may be
>> a useful reference for creating an ANTS data tarball.
>
> Thank you Matthew, we might make use of its parts... but while at it I
> would like to raise a concern actually about shipping those relatively
> large data volumes used for testing WITHIN the source tarballs...  Do
> you expect those to get modified (grow/change) with each ITK release?
> ATM those data samples occupy big (if not majority) of the
> compressed tarball IIRC.
>
> May be that data could get a life of its own? ;)  i.e. may be we could
> better package "working set" of test images used by ITK/ANTs (else?) and
> distribute a dedicated package with only data?  I eventually see it
> possible that data(set) stabilizes more than code which keeps developing
> reusing those data files
>
> P.S. That is what Michael (of NeuroDebian) has done to other big
> projects such as AFNI, FSL etc -- we barely ever update the data
> packages but code packages get updated quite often now without incurring
> any major penalty of dragging the same data around

The testing data is included with the source tarballs so that the
source tarball can be downloaded and the tests can be readily run
without any extra effort and without a network connection.

The testing data will vary with releases.  Most of the data are not
input images but baseline, i.e. ground truth, images used when
verifying the output of a test.

Cheers,
Matt