Re: Introducing myself - conquest

Hello,

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 09:02:16AM +0100, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 11:21 PM, Karsten Hilbert
> <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 10:00:49AM -0200, Pablo Lorenzzoni wrote:
> >
> >> My name is Pablo Lorenzzoni. I am currently using ConQuest DICOM server and
> >> would be happy to package it for Debian.
> >
> > May I kindly suggest -- if there's a choice to be had -- that
> > you might consider choosing PostgreSQL as the backend, which,
> > among those
> >
> >         DbaseIII, MySQL, Postgres and SqLite
> >
> > listed here
> >
> >         http://ingenium.home.xs4all.nl/dicom.html
> >
> > is the one any sane clinical deployment would like to
> > use (short of Mumps, maybe).

I want to provide all database backends (even DBIII), but that will take some
time. Right now I am using SQLite, so the packaging will begin there. If
things progress as I want, the package will be split into 4 binaries, one for
each backend. But we're looking too much in the future right now.

> Any sane clinical deployment would *not* use Conquest:
> http://bugs.debian.org/680352#12 :-P

Yes... even more nasty stuff can be found in current codebase. As I wrote in
the README.Debian, ConQuest is full of holes. I am approaching upstream so we
can patch things together... This lead me to avoid providing CGI interface
right now in the package (although it will be easy enough for people who want
to move things around to do it so). So it will be just DICOM server until
things are made less nasty. The first version I upload will bind 127.0.0.1
instead of 0.0.0.0 .

Also, I will be running ConQuest with a non-root user to try to limit damage
(Too much buffer overflow prone code lying around). I once considered to
provide a jail to run packaged ConQuest, but I want to try to patch a few of
those bugs before (lazy as I am, I might build jail in and let those bugs
live ;-) ).

> BTW DCMTK has been compiled and tested with hardening flags and proven
> to work very well, it is a very robust and mature SCP server.

Sure... right now anyone looking for a DICOM server should go to DCMTK before
ConQuest.

[]s

Pablo

--