Question about debian/upstream reference

Hi all,

I just saw on the imaging-tasks page that the reference for my package
is clobbered, i.e. from debian/upstream

   Journal: Source Code for Biology and Medicine
   Year: 2013
   Volume: 8:20

the reference is created as

    ... Source Code for Biology and Medicine 500 (2013).

I would seem that the colon in "8:20" is the offending part.
Unfortunately, it is quite common in on-line only journals to use this
kind of notation.

My questions are now:

* What is the tool used to extract this information? - so that I can see
  if I am able to fix it, or if not, to file a bug report against the
  right package.
* Does anybody now a workaround that would preserve the notation?

Many thanks,
Gert