Re: unstable/experimental freeze policy

Hi Andreas,
>> I have just uploaded a new version of a package (new GenomeTools
>> upstream version) to experimental
[...]
>> do you see much in the way of uploading this package to unstable as well?
>
> You always need to outweight policy with sane reasons / common sense.
> If you think GenomeTools and its dependencies will pretty surely not
> feature any RC bug we will probably not need to keep new versions out of
> unstable.  But how can you surely know this?

Well, I cannot prove it... but as there is currently only one package
depending on it and I'm both its upstream author and maintainer, I think
I'm fairly sure ;)

> I think by waiting a certain time to see whether some QA tools have
> run once or twice which is probably in a one month time frame.

Oh, I didn't know these tools also run on experimental. In this case I
completely agree!

> So if you are sure the Debian import Freeze for Ubuntu will be Feb
> 2015 it might be the best compromise to upload GenomeTools (and its
> dependencies) in mid January which should be sufficient to a) reach
> Ubuntu and b) uncover any RC bugs in testing.

Absolutely! The Ubuntu import freeze for vivid is on Feb 19th
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/VividVervet/ReleaseSchedule) so mid January
definitely sounds good.

Thanks and best regards,
Sascha