Re: [More automation] - One git project for several packages

Le Sat, Dec 06, 2014 at 03:52:48PM +0000, Jorge Sebastião Soares a écrit :

> I am trying to automate as much as possible the debian package creation for
> the Sanger Pathogen Informatics (SPI) group.
> I remember a thread, not so long ago where someone was enquiring about
> keeping several packages under the same git project, using branches to
> compartimentalise the different packages.
>
> I'm looking for the thread, but whilst I look, can someone tell me if this
> is possible? I'm mostly concerned about the mechanism to store upstream
> tarballs.

Hi Jorge,

technically, a lot of things are possible, especially if you do not use helper
tools like git-buildpackage, but the whole point of the Debian Med packaging
team is to standardise on common tools so that we can easily maintain packages
together.

I still do not see what advantage would outweight the inconveniences of storing
multiple source packages into a single Git repository.

If you are looking for a way to quickly clone and update a large number of
Git repositories with single commands, have a look to http://myrepos.branchable.com/,
that you may find useful.

Regarding the sharing of accounts on Alioth, I am quite confident that the
answer of the administrators would be "no", but in doubt you can ask anyway.
The problem here is that these are full login accounts, so if by accident a
password or a SSH key gets in the wrong hands, there can be some trouble (and
there has been in the past).

I see two alternatives.

 - A common account somewhere else (Gitorious etc.), and a commit hook that triggers
   one Alioth account to pull changes when appropriate.

 - Allowing access from SSH keys strictly restricted to run Git.

By the way, can you give us some details about the automation system that you
are considering ?  I am quite curious to read about.

Have a nice Sunday,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan