Re: [kmc + asmlib] - I need to package asmlib before I can package anything else

Hi Jorge,

On Mon, Nov 03, 2014 at 02:05:14PM +0000, Jorge Sebastião Soares wrote:

> At the moment, asmlib is being distributed as a set of binaries together
> with the KMC source:
> kmc <https://github.com/js21/kmc> / kmer_counter
> <https://github.com/js21/kmc/tree/master/kmer_counter> / *libs* /

Correct, we need a separate package build from source code.

> Even though asmlib are sets of instructions for intel chips, this doesn't
> seem like the way to create a Debian package as the binaries would be
> heavily dependent on the architecture where they were built.
>
> The logical thing to do, having spoken to Sascha would be to package asmlib
> as well.

+1

> The point of this email is essentially to express a will to package asmlib
> but, since asmlib is more of a generic thing and not Debian Med only, to
> confirm that I can do the packaging through Debian Med. Also some help with
> packaging of assembly code would be great. Sascha is willing to help on
> this side, but he has lots of other htings to do as well.

It would not be the first time that we are keeping generic non-medical
preconditions for packages in our focus inside the Debian Med
repositories.  So this is no problem in general.  Just commit to Debian
Med Git and see how far you might proceed.  I admit I have no experience
with machine code and you probably need to ask for help on other channels
(like debian-mentors@l.d.o or so).