[kmc + asmlib] - I need to package asmlib before I can package anything else

Hi all,

With the fastaq package, packaged and accepted into unstable (thanks to all who helped), I now need to package another piece of code called KMC (a k-mer counter program):

http://sun.aei.polsl.pl/kmc/

I have been in contact with the developers of KMC and they are very happy for it to go into Debian Med.

I have ported all the KMC source code into my Github project:

https://github.com/js21/kmc

And the authors seem keen to host the code on Github in the near future, but they are currently busy writing the next version of KMC.

I have started packaging the KMC code:

Repo is empty at the moment, as I stumbled upon a KMC dependency that is not in Debian.

The dependency is a set of optimised c/c++ subroutines written in assembly:

http://www.agner.org/optimize/

Just search for asmlib and you'll find it.

At the moment, asmlib is being distributed as a set of binaries together with the KMC source:
kmc / kmer_counter / libs /

Even though asmlib are sets of instructions for intel chips, this doesn't seem like the way to create a Debian package as the binaries would be heavily dependent on the architecture where they were built.

The logical thing to do, having spoken to Sascha would be to package asmlib as well.

I have ported the code to my Github project:

https://github.com/js21/asmlib

The point of this email is essentially to express a will to package asmlib but, since asmlib is more of a generic thing and not Debian Med only, to confirm that I can do the packaging through Debian Med. Also some help with packaging of assembly code would be great. Sascha is willing to help on this side, but he has lots of other htings to do as well.

Kind regards,

Jorge