Re: CamiTK 3.4.0 packaging

Hello Andreas,

On 29/10/2014 07:23, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 09:49:31PM +0100, Emmanuel Promayon wrote:
>> Nicolas and I worked on packaging the new CamiTK release (3.4.0).
>>
>> We are hoping this version could be in testing before the jessie
>> freeze deadline.
>
> Hmmm, we are finally past this point in time since testing migration
> takes currently 10 days ... which will be past 5th November.  There
> is an option to ask release team for a 5 days time span - but you
> need good reasons for this.
>
>> This CamiTK release has a much better test suite
>> (with over 190 integration tests), which improves the QA compared to
>> the previous release. All tests are now enabled in d/rules.
>
> This would be a quite good reason.
>
>> We have a question: following a warning from lintian ("camitk
>> source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.9.5 (current is 3.9.6)"),
>> and after checking [1], we updated the control files to
>> standards-version 3.9.6.
>> Was this a good idea?
>
> Definitely.  This is exactly what lintian wants to tell you.
>
>> For the rest, lintian is always your friend! A few overrides that
>> were unused were dismiss, and we removed all patches as they were
>> included upstream.
>>
>> Everything seems to be fine on our side (cowbuilder/sid was used to
>> build the package and run lintian and lxc/adt was used to run the
>> continuous integration test).
>>
>> If you think that everything is fine as well with this packaging,
>> would you please consider uploading it?
>
> I'll check and upload.  It would be great if you could describe your
> reasons why you consider version 3.4.0 in Jessie as very important in
> more detail to convince the release team.

Thank you for the upload.

The new CamiTK version 3.4.0 features improvements for the user, mainly on image handling, which is, according to us essential in the medical field:
- Improved DICOM support (still using the C++ library of Mathieu Malaterre, already packaged in Debian[1]). We think a good reading of DICOM images is important.
- Support for any image position / orientation in 3D space, information read from medical scanners[2].
- New service Frame, which allows to refer a component position relatively to any other component, in 3D space. This feature has mainly been requested in the medical robotic field.

Also, to increase software stability, we improved our bug solving policy, by increasing our automatic tests number (which has an impact on the number of tests run during the packaging task) and using
a new bug tracking system[3].

Regarding the Debian packaging process, we think this new version of CamiTK, in addition to its new features, is more stable.
As Emmanuel said, we increased the number of test run after configuration - compilation up to 191 (compared to less than 20 tests done in the packaging of the 3.3.2 version).
Also, we updated the tests done by autopkgtest (debian/tests), after installation of the package. These ones expect more information in the 3.4 version than the previous 3.3.x versions.

Finally, it took us a bit time for this last packaging, as we tested our software in order to solve important bugs before releasing it.
We apologize if it's a bit late for integrating this new version in Jessie, but we understand the migration process, and we'll follow your decision.

Thanks again,
Regards,
Nicolas

[1] https://packages.qa.debian.org/g/gdcm.html