Re: Which version of Samtools for Jessie ?

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 07:17:05PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:

> Version 1.1 should be backwards-compatible, but there are probably corner cases
> lurking around, such as other tools expecting a version number starting with 0,
> etc.
>
> In addition, version 1.1 does not build on some architectures where 0.1.19
> built in the past.
>
> Given that the Freeze is near, I therefore wonder what version would be the
> best for the release: 0.1.19 or 1.1.  In one possible scenarios, we would
> distribute 1.x later in jessie-backports.
>
> What do you think ?

As Debian releases tend to be around for a while, I for one would rather see
version 1.1 in jessie. The preferred pipelines for genomic analyses tend to
move rather quickly, and as many of the tools people actualy use are often
distributed "academically", outside of the repositories, people may quickly run
into the need of building samtools locally if we ship an old version.

Which architectures have build problems, and are they likely to be used by
anyone running samtools?

--
Einar Ryeng