Contents of the med-cloud package.

Dear all,

with the Release approaching, it is time to finalise our metapackages.

I went through the list of packages maintained by the Debian Med packaging team
and added to the “cloud” task anything that looked useful at the command line
or in scripts, and that does not pull a whole desktop or high-level graphical
system (GNOME, KDE, etc.).

The goal is to have a meta-package that hopefully pulls no more than a gigabyte
of packages in addition to Debian's “standard” task, and that can be proposed
as a general-purpose machine image for interactive and scripted analysis of
biological data, especially high-throughput sequences.

Needless to say, there must be things that I neglected, especially outside my
field (transcriptome analysis).  One thing I left on the side was the packages
that depend on pp-popularity-contest, since my feeling is that a machine image
that “calls home” would be unwelcome.  I think that we need to find a better
solution.

There is another task, “ngs” that would have such a strong overlap with the
“cloud” task that I propose to drop it.  If the name “cloud” is too confusing,
let's change it, but as far as “next-generation-sequencing” is concerned, I
think that a few more hundred megabytes of space taken by other programs
(phylogeny, structural biology, etc), is not a problem given that the scale of
the data analysed is orders of magnitude higher, and that it is not difficult
to start a machine instance with comfortable amount of free space.

Please review the “cloud” task, comment, and suggest additions or removals.

Have a nice day,

Charles

--
Charles Plessy