Re: Contents of the med-cloud package.

Hi Charles,

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 03:45:38PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> with the Release approaching, it is time to finalise our metapackages.

+1  (or rather +10)

> I went through the list of packages maintained by the Debian Med packaging team
> and added to the “cloud” task anything that looked useful at the command line
> or in scripts, and that does not pull a whole desktop or high-level graphical
> system (GNOME, KDE, etc.).

Sounds good.

> The goal is to have a meta-package that hopefully pulls no more than a gigabyte
> of packages in addition to Debian's “standard” task, and that can be proposed
> as a general-purpose machine image for interactive and scripted analysis of
> biological data, especially high-throughput sequences.
>
> Needless to say, there must be things that I neglected, especially outside my
> field (transcriptome analysis).  One thing I left on the side was the packages
> that depend on pp-popularity-contest, since my feeling is that a machine image
> that “calls home” would be unwelcome.  I think that we need to find a better
> solution.

I have also mixed feelings about this package.

> There is another task, “ngs” that would have such a strong overlap with the
> “cloud” task that I propose to drop it.

I previously suggested this for a different reason.  My main point is
that it is basically unmaintained.  Presenting an incomplete list might
be worse than no list at all.

> If the name “cloud” is too confusing,
> let's change it, but as far as “next-generation-sequencing” is concerned, I
> think that a few more hundred megabytes of space taken by other programs
> (phylogeny, structural biology, etc), is not a problem given that the scale of
> the data analysed is orders of magnitude higher, and that it is not difficult
> to start a machine instance with comfortable amount of free space.

In case you did not noticed:  Since I had doubt about the bio-ngs task I
have set

   Metapackage: false

which results in the fact that we only have a web sentinel task but no
metapackage will be created.  The same is true for bio-phylogeny.

> Please review the “cloud” task, comment, and suggest additions or removals.

... and please review *all* other tasks.