Re: [MoM] Packaging Camp for Debian

Hi Corentin,

On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 12:34:43PM +0200, Corentin Desfarges wrote:

> I'm using the root account, but the problem didn't come from there. I fixed the issue :

No, the problem does not originate by using the root account.  But you
simply shoul not use the root account in any case.  Please do not do
this since it might lead to unwanted side effects (like by chance
installing code onto your local machine instead into the packaging dir
if you have not properly designed the packaging yet).

> In d/rules, I used destdir, but it didn't work because I create two packages (libcamp
> and libcamp-dev). I fixed it using libcamp.install and libcamp-dev.install to put the files
> at the right place.

Yes, that was actually the problem.  I'd suggest you can remove the part

override_dh_auto_install:
        dh_auto_install

from d/rules now since it does nothing.

> >So you do not understand why lintian informs you about the fact that the
> >packages are empty (which they are actually) or why the packages remain
> >empty?  I intend to recommend the usage of d-shlibs but my web search
> >failed and so I probably only wanted to write about this - sorry for
> >actually forgetting to do so.
>
> My problem being solved, I think that for now, I wont use d-shlibs. But I'll have a look
> on it for the future.

OK, fine for me.  It was just a recommendation.

> >Hope this helps and feel free to ping me earlier in case I might leave
> >some question unanswered
>
> No problem!
>
> I've just pushed some changes, and according lintian, the packages seem good...
> But the names of the .deb resulting files have a strange format :
>  libcamp0.7-dev_0.7.1.1-1_amd64.deb
>  libcamp0.7_0.7.1.1-1_amd64.deb
>
> What do you think about it ?

I confirm that it looks good and besides the following nitpicking it is
ready for upload:

  1. d/README.source:  I have no idea what you want to tell the reader here
     Since d/watch shows where the source is originated from I do not see
     what the additional info from where it was forked should help.  If you
     would say:
       The orginal software at location X had <name some interesting features>
       but was forked for the following reasons <name some reasons> at
       location Y
     this would give the reader some background.

  2. d/changelog: I'd delete all items except of "* Initial release"
     Future releases will mention changes from our first upload but as long
     as there is not initial release there are also no changes compared to
     this

  3. d/rules: I'd prefer to delete unneeded stuff from this file.  Please
     leave only those comments which might be helpful for the further
     maintenance of the package

Once these simple items are done I'll upload the package.

Thanks for your good work on this and feel free to keep on working
at your final target