Re: [MoM] Packaging Camp for Debian

Hi Corentin,

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 11:50:08AM +0200, Corentin Desfarges wrote:
> Hi Andreas
>
> >>- I've compressed the sources of Camp in camp-0.7.1.tar.gz,
> >Question:  How did you obtained these sources before compressing them.
>
> I downloaded these source here : https://github.com/greenjava/camp

This answers the question "from where" but not "how".  In "To create a
new local git repository" in our policy[1] it is recommended to do

  svn export svn://anonscm.debian.org/svn/debian-med/trunk/package_template debian

I always start with editing the debian/watch file from there and adapt
it to the upstream location (here Github release).  Once you adapted
the debian/watch file to

version=3
https://github.com/greenjava/camp/releases .*/archive/(\d[\d.-]+)\.(?:tar(?:\.gz|\.bz2)?|tgz)

(untested, but should work)  The "how to download" answer is simply:

   uscan --verbose --force-download

This is beating two birds with one stone:  You *test* the d/watch file
and *do* the download.  Easy, isn't it?

> >>- Then on the wiki page of MoM, there is a link to a git repository
> >>for my project, but I'm asking if I have a writing access on it ?
>
> >You need to create an account on alioth.debian.org first and ask for
> becoming added to the Debian Med team.
>
> Done.

Yup, I accepted your application some time ago.

> >>And first, does this repository already exist ? Because I can't
> >>clone it for now, and I don't see it anywhere...
> >This repository does not yet exist ... I just "invented" this string for
> >the moment. :-)
>
> Fine! Is it to me to create it ? (When I will be in the team)

I could do it but I think it is better if you follow the steps described
in the Debian Med policy (browse [1] a bit down for 'setup-repository').
Its easy, be bold, just do it. :-)

> >>- About "debian/watch" : The problem is there are some forks from
> >>it, and the more recent is one year old. Does one of forks could be
> >>used ? (Knowing that they look like that :
> >>https://github.com/tegesoft/camp).
>
> >We are packaging the source which is mentioned in d/watch (this is
> >connected to my "get sources" question).  If *you* (as an educated
> >person about the code) decide to package a fork for whatever reason
> >this for should be fetched with d/watch and you should document the
> >reasons for this in the file debian/README.source.
>
> So do you think that I have to fork the repository ?

Hmmm, I'm not sure what you really mean.  Is there any problem with
the code you can download from
   https://github.com/greenjava/camp/releases
If no, just use it.  If yes, what exactly is the problem and what do
you mean be 'fork'?

> >>The organization of the Git repository doesn't include the
> >>different version, like it by example :
> >>http://sourceforge.net/projects/vxl/files/vxl/
> >>What do you think about it ?
>
> >I'm afraid I do not understand this question.  (BTW, I just uploaded vxl
> to unstable.)
>
> By example, in the case of VXL, there are many directories on
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/vxl/files/vxl/  for each version. Is d/watch
> available to work with a repository containing only the source files (as
> https://github.com/greenjava/camp) ?

Look at the examples in the d/watch from package_template above.  This
works to 95% of the given repositories (at least).

[1] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html#git-tips