Re: ARB 6.0 package

Hi Elmar,

On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 04:33:44PM +0200, Elmar Pruesse wrote:
> Hi Andreas!
>
> I'm still trying to find the time to finish up the 6.0 package.

That's really godd news!

> I can't
> check in yet, because I've merged most of your patches upstream to be
> included with 6.0.2.

OK.  Feel free to bump the changelog version to 6.0.2 once this is
available for download.

> The way that the files are picked from the build dir and put into the
> different packages is giving me a bit of a headache though. I'm not
> exactly sure what is moved where and why, and I'm worried that some
> files get "left behind".

In case this is a riddle for you most probably the follwing hint will
help:  The files debian/*.install are responsible for what the dh module
dh_install (see man dh_install) will move to what binary package.  In
principle you chould imagine a `cp -a ` in front of each line to
understand what's happening.

> What I'm thinking of right now is to use the "tarfile_quick" target in
> ARB to build the "normal ARB binary distribution tarball". That way,
> dh_install --list-missing can be used to detect whether anything that
> upstream wants distributed is missing from the packages.

Sounds sensible (even if I did not checked what "tarfile_quick" is
doing.

> I'm also considering to shift the "moving files around to satisfy FHS"
> into debian/rules and use the .install files only to express which files
> go into which package.

Ahh, you obviously are aware beout these .install files.  Well, just try
whyt you consider helpful and if in the end some problems might remain
we can fix this later.

> Would those changes be acceptable to you and in accordance with Debian
> best practises?

I can not answer this question without more details.  What exactly do
you mean by "moving files around to satisfy FHS" ?