Re: [MoM] Update on packaging of OpenEMR

Hi Ian,

thanks for your continuous silent work in Git which I'm observing as
promised but which did not triggered any need for a comment in the last
time.

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 10:13:39PM -0700, Ian Wallace wrote:
> Andreas - Committed my latest - I was having a mental block as to how to
> remove the phpmyadmin from the code base.  I didn't have the Files-Excluded
> line in the header but coupled with the first copyright notice.  That
> wasn't working at all.  This time I added it and then removed it from the
> code base (is that what I'm supposed to do?  I created a new orig.tar.gz
> file ... not sure this is the method but the thread you referenced seem to
> imply that I should just remove it from the source tree).

The Files-Excluded field in debian/copyright works when you *obtain*
(create) the tarball via uscan (or mk-origtargz which is called by uscan
and can be used to test your Files-Excluded field without the need to
fetch the upstream source from the web over and over.  I have added a
get-orig-source target to debian/rules which is described in the
developers reference as a target you should use if simple uscan is not
sufficient.  So you can

    debian/rules get-orig-source

now.  The problem is that your patch levels are not really downloadable
from sf.net - so uscan can not work like this.  So if you have any other
means to download openemr-4.1.2p7.tar.gz you could verify the
functionality fo Files-Excluded via

   mk-origtargz --repack --compress xz <path_to>/openemr-4.1.2p7.tar.gz

when beeing located in the root of your Git repository.  This should
create a file

   ../openemr_4.1.2p7.orig.tar.xz

which you could import via

   git import-orig --pristine-tar ../openemr_4.1.2p7.orig.tar.xz

BTW, this would also be needed to enable me reproducing your work since
there is no such information in the pristine-tar branch to enable me
reproducing your current source tarball.

> Just to recap here's where I am:
> 1) Can create a deb file that will install/remove.

Good.

> 2) Webserver currently needs to be manually configured with a2enconf and
> service apache2 reload but the default configuration is packaged.

Sounds reasonable.

> 3) Maintainer scripts (pre/post/inst/rm) have been disabled (Brady Miller
> wrote the originals) and I need to wade through them now fixing the various
> complaints that linitian generates about unsafe temp files, not using the
> template system correctly, not using the PO stuff for internationalization.

OK, just report any problems here.

> 4) The large project left is finding/updating all of our minified JS.  I
> confirmed with upstream that in fact the project *does* rely on several
> versions all the way back to 1.2.1 of jQuery and the scripts that rely on
> it are known to break if updated.

Uhm. :-(

> Sounds like I'll be spending a few
> months wading through upgrades and submitting patches upstream to bring
> them all up to the 1.7.2 version that is supplied with Debian.

That's very welcome and really brave but I guess also upstream will
welcome if you are doing  this.

> 5) Submit my other patches/bugs for the fixes I have already added to the
> Debian release (there's a few scripts that had incorrect paths, failed
> syntax checks, etc).

This is a typical effect when trying to create Debian packages from
complex programs:  The code quality can be enhanced.  So usually it is
in the interest of both parties - upstream and Debian - to work
together.  Many thanks for your patient work on this!

> Not sure if I'll make the deadline of September to have things completed.

I admit that it is hard to set a sensible deadline.  I can only ensure
that the Debian Med team will keep on supporting your intent as best as
possible.

> Will just keep working on things and submit emails as I need
> help/encouragement.  I truly appreciate all the help that people provide on
> the list.

:-)