Re: [MoM] Minified JS and other things

Hi Ian,

Diane has properly answered your main question (which proves my point to
always communicate via mailing list :-)).

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 10:16:02PM -0700, Ian Wallace wrote:
> Diane - Thanks for the idea on symlinking.  I am working with the current
> upstream devs to try and figure out which versions of the JS they really
> need.  In one part we have JSQuery versions from 1.2.1 all the way through
> 1.9.1.  All of them can't be in use ... I am going to try and prune first
> before fixing this.

I'm no JS expert but as far as I know it is hard to tell whether
versions are compatible or not.  I consider your strong connection to
upstream a big advantage to sort this out with competent people which
I'm definitely not.  My general approach to seek whether some JS is
packaged in Debian an can be used for symlinking is to

    apt-file search <js-filename>

(You need to install apt-file package and do `sudo apt-file update` when
you want to use it immediately.)  It also helps to do some

    apt-cache search <libname> | grep ^libjs

since all JS packages should start with libjs.  Once you have found a
fitting JavaScript package you can use the dh-linktree package (as
Build-Depends) add

   dh $@ --with linktree

to your debian/rules file and create a file debian/<pkgname>.linktrees.
While it is a bit nifty to understand how dh-linktree works it ends up
to be a quite clean solution.  You can find examples for the usage in
the packages

   python-biom-format
   pyqi
   libhmsbeagle
   python-sqlsoup

which are all in our SVN but you can also simply get the source via

   apt-get source <pkgname>

to have a detailed look into these examples.