For those who would like to debug some old C++ code over the weekend

Hi,

I'm currently working on preconditions for ngopt[1] which is used in our
institute.  It includes some third party pieces of code and one of this
is FISH[2].  I have created some packaging for this at

  svn://anonscm.debian.org/debian-med/trunk/packages/unc-fish/trunk/

but when I try to process the provided test data it segfaults:

$ /usr/lib/unc-fish/fish -b blocks.txt -B simpleblocks.txt -g grids.txt -C contigs.txt
     Segmentation fault

There are some suspicious format warnings when building but the problem
might be also somewhere else.  Since ngopt is my final target I dived
into their repository and have takoen the content of

   http://code.google.com/p/ngopt/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2FFISH%2Fsrc

as a quilt patch - which at least solves the segfault issue.  So without
this patch the original code segfaults with the sample data set but due
to some other changes the result set of the test code can not be
reproduced.  (BTW, I found a binary of fish on some non-Debian host used
in my institute which runs as well and produces a third result which is
different from the original test result and the patched version.)

This issue makes me quite suspicious and I wonder whether we could at
least reproduce the original test suite with the original code without
the segfault problem.  Any volunteer to check the code for this issue?

[1] http://code.google.com/p/ngopt/
[2] http://labs.bio.unc.edu/Vision/FISH/