Re: Updating fis-gtm package to 6.1

Hi Karsten,

On Sun, Feb 09, 2014 at 08:46:13PM +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 08, 2014 at 05:43:05PM -0500, Luis Ibanez wrote:
>
> > 1) We agree to package multiple versions of fis-gtm.
> >
> >     The exact number is still in the air, but it looks like
> >     we are all comfortable with the base number == 3,
> >     at least for the immediate future.
> >
> >     More precisely we are talking about versions:
> >
> >            fis-gtm-6.0   (currently in Debian)
> >            fis-gtm-6.1   (recently released upstream)
> >            fis-gtm-6.2   (to be released upstream by mid 2014)
>
> If what you are saying here is that by mid 2014 there
> are expected to be 3 different fisgtm packages in
> Debian Testing, namely fisgtm60, fisgtm61, and fisgtm62
> I don't understand AT ALL what that is supposed to be
> good for.

We were discussing options and the packaging procedure should allow this
option.  What really might happen in testing is something else and does
not only from what we think.

> Debian works like this (to my understanding):
>
> - currently there is fisgtm (6.0) in Testing
> - when 6.1 is released a new fisgtm (6.1) is prepared
> - fisgtm (6.1) is uploaded to Unstable
> - 10 days later fisgtm (6.1) migrates to Testing
>   and fisgtm (6.0) stays available from snapshots.d.o
>
> - same thing happens when 6.2 is released, except
>   that then there will be both fisgtm (6.0) and
>   fisgtm (6.1) available from snapshots.d.o.
>
> I have so far NOT seen ANY understandable argument
> why there MUST be different versions in Testing
> at the SAME TIME ?!?

Well, I think that Bhaskar had some arguments that it has some use cases
and finally we are working for use cases.  I just sad that the plan
might not be realisable but we should not block this from the packaging
in the first place.