Re: I would like to submit a package to debian-med

Hi Andreas, all,

Sorry for the time it took to get back to you on this.
I had to reinstall my debian VM as I ran out of space.
I found that when I copied my debian folder to a folder on my host machine, something wasn't quite right.
All the files were present but I believe that the permissions on the debian files were completely messed up.
I don't know if you have ever come across this before.
Due to certain site resctrictions I need to develop on a macintosh machine (host) and use a VM software for my debian dist (guest)

Anyway, I essentially checked out the previously commited debian folder and everything works now.

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 6:34 PM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
Hi Jorge,

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 04:59:10PM +0000, Jorge Sebastião Soares wrote:
> I understood now.
> I have removed all the .ex files.
> Sascha had told me to remove them before and I did. I rebuilt the package
> from source this morning using as you said dh-make to create the debian
> folder and the pristine tar ball and they came back.

So you know why I recommended

   svn checkout svn://anonscm.debian.org/svn/debian-med/trunk/package_template debian

over dh-make in the Debian Med policy document?

Yes.
It makes perfect sense.
 .

You are welcome.  The next thing I'm recommending is running lintian and
make sure to use '-i' option to get verbose information what you need to
do.

I have been going through iterations of this and I'm essentially down to messages of the type:

W: libsnp-sites1: wrong-bug-number-in-closes l3:#nnnn
W: libsnp-sites1: new-package-should-close-itp-bug

Talking to Sascha, I understand why these warnings are present.
I need to register an ITP for snp-sites and once the package is sorted the ITP bug needs to be closed.

The only warning I'm actually concerned about is:

W: libsnp-sites1: non-dev-pkg-with-shlib-symlink usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnp-sites.so.1.0.0 usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnp-sites.so
N:
N:    Although this package is not a "-dev" package, it installs a
N:    "libsomething.so" symbolic link referencing the corresponding shared
N:    library. When the link doesn't include the version number, it is used by
N:    the linker when other programs are built against this shared library.
N:
N:    Shared libraries are supposed to place such symbolic links in their
N:    respective "-dev" packages, so it is a bug to include it with the main
N:    library package.
N:
N:    However, if this is a small package which includes the runtime and the
N:    development libraries, this is not a bug. In the latter case, please
N:    override this warning.
N:
N:    Refer to Debian Policy Manual section 8.4 (Development files) for
N:    details.
N:
N:    Severity: normal, Certainty: possible
N:
N:    Check: shared-libs, Type: binary, udeb
N:

If I commit my modifications to the debian git repo, would someone have a look at the package?

Today is my last day before the Christmas break, but I'll be available on this email.

Regards,

Jorge