Re: Python package review

On 02/11/2013 08:02 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Andreas and Olivier,

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 03:35:59PM +0100, Olivier Sallou wrote:
>> I had a quick look at package. You manually do install steps
>> etc... dh helper manage python. On a pure python package, all I
>> had to do is: dh $@ --with python2
> I was today traveling offline and came to the very same conclusion
> to use this line (also commited and removed the postinst / prerm).
> This works better because it simply implements what is written
> down in Python policy.

I'm putting the debhelper documentation/man on my reading list right now!

>> You should not need the .install files (to copy your python
>> fileds) nor the setup.py install in your rules file.
>>
>> Maybe that a simple: override_dh_auto_install: ...
>> dh_auto_install --sourcedirectory=gtpython
>>
>> could be enough.
> This might be even more simple than my solution that has the
> install file remaining.

Okay, thank you. I will definitely try that. Actually, I tried
something similar before, but as I left out the `--sourcedirectory' it
did not work, and I fell back to doing everything manually.

>> http://wiki.debian.org/Python/Policy / Updating your packages /
>> 5. If your package provides modules (either public or privates),
>> you should use python-support or python-central to bytecompile
>> them at installation time. Choose one of them and follow the
>> specific instructions below.
> "--with python2" is using python-support (python-central is
> deprecated)
>> You does the byte compilation yourself in postinst/prerm, but I
>> think it would be better to use provided tools.
> +1 (or should I say +2?)

So the '--with python2' flag in the debhelper catchall target is
enough to make sure the byte compilation takes place, and the compiled
objects are removed at deinstallation? Wow -- I cannot stop being
amazed by the magic ;)

> BTW, I also checked the package in general and made it priority
> optional with exception of the -dbg package.  Debian Med policy
> recommends this priority because it ensures that all QA tools will
> work on this package while priority extra might hide the package
> from some checking tools.

I see. Thanks for the modification.

> I also extended the clean target to enable building the package
> twice in a row.  Most probably you should grab your upstream hat
> and fix upstream Makefiles to enable easier cleaning up after
> building.

Yes, I found that out too the hard way, hacking away ;) This will
definitely be fixed and make its way into the next release.

> Hope this helps Andreas.

It definitely does! Thanks again for your time!
Sascha

- --
Sascha Steinbiss
Center for Bioinformatics