Re: Python package review

Le 2/10/13 9:43 PM, Sascha Steinbiss a ←crit :
> Hi everyone,
>
> could someone with some expertise in Python module packaging have a
> quick look at the 'genometools' rules file and maintainer scripts -- I
> have just packaged the Python bindings and while I *think* I have
> followed chapter 2 of the Debian Python Policy, there may be other
> issues I missed that will certainly catch the eye of an experienced
> Python packager.

I had a quick look at package. You manually do install steps etc...
dh helper manage python. On a pure python package, all I had to do is:
dh $@ --with python2

You should not need the .install files (to copy your python fileds) nor the setup.py install in your rules file.

Maybe that a simple:

override_dh_auto_install:
dh_auto_install --sourcedirectory=gtpython

could be enough.

Additionally Python Policy states:

http://wiki.debian.org/Python/Policy / Updating your packages /
5. If your package provides modules (either public or privates), you should use python-support or python-central to bytecompile them at installation time. Choose one of them and follow the specific instructions below.

You does the byte compilation yourself in postinst/prerm, but I think it would be better to use provided tools.

Olivier

> Thanks a lot in advance,
> Sascha
>
> P.S. On a side note, I am also preparing a package for a GPL2 program
> called aragorn (not ITP'ed yet). Since this is my first package of
> which I am not the upstream author, I wonder if it's good style to
> contact him and ask whether he still maintains the source? The date on
> the web site indicates he does.

- --
Olivier Sallou
IRISA / University of Rennes 1
Campus de Beaulieu, 35000 RENNES - FRANCE
Tel: 02.99.84.71.95

gpg key id: 4096R/326D8438  (keyring.debian.org)
Key fingerprint = 5FB4 6F83 D3B9 5204 6335  D26D 78DC 68DB 326D 8438