Re: [fis-gtm] user experience (WAS Re: Fis-gtm accepted in unstable)

Hi Amul,

On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 07:00:49PM -0500, Amul Shah wrote:
> >I just uploaded a package with your patch which shows the help properly.
> >Note: As a beginner it is definitely *not* intuitively to leave this
> >help - I neede to interupt by ^C.
>
> [amul:2] Could explain this a bit more? It may not be obvious but
> hitting return/enter a few times will exit the user from the
> "Topic?" prompt.

I can confirm this.  I have no idea what I did previously.  The only
thing I remember from my first test and which I verified now is that the
help screen takes >3 seconds which is actually not the speed I would
expect to display a simple text screen.

> [amul:2] Bhaskar spent a bit of time crafting a script called gtm in
> the installation directory. Assuming that GT.M is installed in
> /opt/fis-gtm/V6.0-003_x8664/, execute
> /opt/fis-gtm/V6.0-003_x8664/gtm. Here is what I see when I use GT.M
> as installed from FIS's GT.M distribution tar ball.
>
>    shaha@shaha:~/work/cmakezhelp$ /opt/fis-gtm/V6.0-003_x8664/gtm
>    %GDE-I-GDUSEDEFS, Using defaults for Global Directory
>             /home/shaha/.fis-gtm/V6.0-003_x86_64/g/gtm.gld
>    GTM>halt
>    shaha@shaha:~/work/cmakezhelp$ /opt/fis-gtm/V6.0-003_x8664/gtm -help
>    gtm -dir[ect] to enter direct mode (halt returns to shell)
>    gtm -run <entryref> to start executing at an entryref
>    gtm -help / gtm -h / gtm -? to display this text
>
> [amul:2] Should we include a getting started section in the README?

I admit that I do not really understand this and it is not really what I
mean. I was just a bit bored to set the environment variables first
before I can fire up mumps and I added a very simple wrapper in the Git
repository.  Please check this and verify whether it makes sense to
install it in the next package version.