Re: changing priority optional->extra

On 06.11.2013 08:49, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,

Hello Andreas,

> general statement for everybody: Please use

> for all your packages which are not *-dbg (Debug) packages.  Everything
> else is some kind of wrong shyness / understatement because you might
> think your package is "not so important".  As explained below the
> differences between optional and extra are not very large.[1]  I have
> also read somewhere that not all QA tools we have in Debian are extended
> to priority extra packages - but we *really* want to have all those nifty
> tools running on our software.

OK, got it. Will keep this in mind for my next package to do it the
right way from the start.

[...]
>> I see. I remember that during the first upload the priorities were set
>> to extra, and only later changed to optional to comply with the DebMed
>> policy -- I guess that's where the disparities came from in the first
>> place. Do you think it is worth the while to file a change request?
>
> I vaguely remember that these things are changed at some point in time
> without filing such requests.  However, it seems that the previous
> uploads did not showed some "healing" effect - so perhaps filing the
> change request might make sense.

I will look into this when I find the time.

[...]
> BTW, I'd also check out the 'oldlibs' issue.

Yep, I will switch the pango deps from the transitional libpango1.0-0 to
the new modular libpango*-1.0-0 packages soon.

[...]
>>> In the case of the sections, libraries should be in the “libs”
>>> section so here it is definitely the source package that has to be
>>> corrected. By the way, the override disparities are a minor
>>> problem, so there is no need to immediately upload if it is only to
>>> propagate the changes.
>> Great, thanks for the information! I will make the necessary
>> adjustments to the packages and upload with the next updated upstream
>> release.
> Charles is right here to use "Section: libs" for the library.  If I
> remember right the usage of d-shlibs will check this - one nice reason
> to use this for library packages.  (We have examples for d-shlibs usage
> in our Vcs, the most extensive example is probably staden-io-lib.)

Ah, thanks for the hint. I will definitely have a look at that.

> I also agree with Charles, that there is no really need to hurry up
> with an upload.  I personally would go with a commit to Vcs of the
> relevant change to make sure it will not be forgotten.  (Make sure
> you set target distribution to "UNRELEASED".)

Okay, will do this maybe later in the evening ;)

> Kind regards
>
>         Andreas.

Kind regards
Sascha